A couple of weeks ago my family and I headed to Madison, WI. The purpose of visiting one of our favorite midwest cities — to participate in my first group triathlon training ride with Chicago Endurance Sports. I’m now 12 weeks into triathlon training (four to go!) and I have only been able to regularly swim with the group; biking and running has mostly been on my own.
It was incredibly rewarding and challenging to ride a 42-mile technical course with my peers. They held me accountable for keeping pace (I don’t like to be the caboose!), and I was able to exchange a few training stories and ideas along the way. It would have been so easy to slow down going up the hills or take more coasting breaks – nope, not with other riders on your back wheel. Riding with a group reminded me how powerful group training can be. It’s exactly the camaraderie and motivation that all of Active Moms’ Club small group training sessions provides for our prenatal and postnatal mamas.
Here are some of my favorite things I enjoy about group training:
- The discomfort of a tough workout is less painful when you are suffering with others.
- I have a renewed appreciation for timely and organized workouts.
- As a competitor, I enjoy and loath the coach clapping his hands at the end of the pool pushing me to go faster.
- When you think your discomfort is too great to continue, you keep going because you see someone else pushing through it.
- There will always be someone who is quicker, stronger, or more experienced to learn from and aspire to.
- I’ve met some pretty cool people during training.
- When the coach says “that was a tough set, nice work”, you feel a sense of accomplishment and puff up your feathers like a peacock.
- I don’t have to think about what the day’s workout will be; I like having a schedule and coach to tell me what to do.
- When I’m having a bad day or just down right tired, I force myself to show up because I know the group is waiting for me, and that’s what I paid for.
- I feel empowered after every single workout.
- In group training there is always someone to commiserate with.
The last 12 weeks have been an incredible learning experience for me, both personally and professionally. I’ve been reminded that small group workouts have many benefits beyond the actual exercise, and that a coach is a mentor. I’m proud that Active Moms’ Club provides a healthy, supportive and fun environment for training in small groups. My clients inspire me each day, and they can count on me – their coach , to push them to be their best!
Who’s pushing you to be your best fit self?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Other related articles from Active Moms’ Club blog: