As a trainer, it’s a job perk that I get to spend quality time with like-minded mamas. I’ve had the opportunity to learn about their fitness journeys and the pleasure to get to know many on a personal level—making some dear friends over the years. Here are 25 random facts most people don’t know about me:
- I wore a size 16 pants in 6th grade.
- Fitness was not a regular part of my life until after college, and it was purely recreational.
- When I was 26 years old I had hip surgery—due to recreational running and poor form; I have a titanium pin in my hip.
- When I was 29 I worked with a personal personal trainer for a year. He transformed my life and my body. I dropped two pant sizes, and gained confidence in my body. He inspired me to pursue a fitness career and begin running again.
- I ran my first road race ever—at the age of 30 in 2002—it is was the Chicago marathon.
- In 2003 I became a certified personal trainer and quit my day job; I was a graphic designer.
- In 2005 I completed Ironman Wisconsin in 13 hours and 13 minutes. It was 96 degrees that day.
- I am dyslexic. I struggle with reading comprehension, but I have an abundance of creativity and excellent eye-hand coordination – which allows me to excel at sports.
- My favorite foods are (east coast) pizza, dark chocolate chipotle covered almonds, and Guinness Beer – in that order.
- I’m an obsessive organizer, The Container Store is my favorite store.
- I am happiest when I’m outdoors and the sun is shining, preferably 65 degrees or above.
- I want to visit all seven continents in my lifetime. I have two to go: Antarctica & Australia.
- The number one item on my bucket list is to complete the World Championship Ironman in Kona, Hawaii. (Dream BIG!)
- I met my husband randomly after my client read my Ironman race report and then shared it with her colleague, who then offered to set his friend up with me.
- Our first date was a 50-mile bike ride.
- I started Active Moms’ Club the year we got married in 2008 because I’m passionate about helping women, particularly moms, be the best version of themselves.
- I went through two rounds of IVF over the course of 20 months to conceive my beautiful boys.
- The moms in Active Moms’ Club proved to be an incredible support system in my fertility journey.
- My boys were born in 2011 and I have been in physical therapy for one reason or another every year since their birth.
- My favorite workout is lifting and swinging kettlebells; my second favorite workout is running or cycling outdoors.
- I loathe running on a treadmill.
- I have lived in Chicago for 16-years and have had four bikes stolen.
- If I could live anywhere in the world it would be Hawaii (see #11).
- I am 44 years old and can say that I am the strongest I have ever been in my entire life; I can now do a strict pull-up and love lifting heavy weights.
- I have no regrets in life. I believe everything happens for a reason and age doesn’t define who I am.
Tell me something about you, share five random facts about yourself.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Other related blog posts from Active Moms’ Club: